Friday 23 November 2012

Film pitch.

For me personally, I have always found that some of the best films I have ever seen have been within the realm of thrillers. Having watched several films representing the different sub-genres of thriller the one I feel will work best for me is a psychological thriller. I decided upon this as I have limited resources but feel that I can still create an opening that remains true to the codes and conventions of a psychological thriller.

One particular element that I wanted to ensure was within my thriller was the idea of the killer leading a double life. To the outside world they are a normal person, just living their life like everyone else, but within the confines of their house they are a calm collected killer. I feel this is always a successful element within a film as the audience gets the feeling of being omniscient, they are privy to the double-life of the killer and it will keep them on the edge of their seat during character interactions throughout the film.

When I was conceptualising my thriller, I was always adamant on the idea of a female killer. I feel this would add a quirkiness to my opening as the typical archetype of a killer is always male. For me I wanted a young, fresh-faced woman to be the killer as within a film this kind of character would not typically be cast as the killer.

After watching other thriller openings I felt that I wanted to move away from the typical title sequence style present in so many other films and introduce the almost religious rituals of the killer. I wanted this to be the opening as I felt it could be interpreted as a modern day prologue, watching the killer go about her business, seeing her actions after having obviously done something horrific would entice the viewer to keep watching and see everything that happened previous to this point.

After the opening my film would progress, showing the background story of the killer, letting the viewer see why she is doing what she does and everything that has led her to this path. Ultimately culminating in either her being incarcerated or killed in justified vengeance by a potential victim.

No comments:

Post a Comment